Tuesday, December 06, 2011

PURE MICHIGAN


A while back I got an email from my high-school Spanish teacher entitled "You might be from Michigan if...." I forwarded it to Beth who I met here in Chicago but is also from Michigan. She replied "If you still keep in touch with your high-school Spanish teacher, you might be from Michigan."

Well I am from Michigan and I do know how to play and SPELL euchre and I do point at my hand when you ask me where I am from. I love those Pure Michigan take-off ads. If you haven't seen them check this one out about University of Michigan football fans. Warning, if you actually went to UofM you may snort food out of your nose laughing when you see this so make sure you are not eating.

My kids like to point out things that they consider to be Pure Michigan when we travel there. Like the enormous woman at Culvers who brought her cheese curds in to the bathroom with her and kept eating while waiting in the bathroom line. Lilly spotted this delightful creature and told me about it in the car saying, "I was afraid she might eat me, so I got out of there. Pure Michigan."

Or last summer when we went to the fancy horse show in Traverse City. When we went to get a pop (not soda, we were in Michigan) we saw a dad on an ATV with his kid on the back. The kid who was about seven had a rat-tail (I think that is what that fashion statement hair-style is called) and the dad was holding a beer while he drove around the grounds. "Pure Michigan" Lilly whispered.

Last weekend Jeff and I had dinner with my old high school boyfriend Greg who lives with his wife Sue in the Chicago suburbs like everyone else who moved away after college. The fact that we had dinner with them might be Pure Michigan--I'm not sure. Anyhoo, he and I got to reminiscing about our old high school which has been demolished and replaced with a Taj-Mah-High-School as my sister calls it.

"You know, they built that new school on our old cornfield," I said to Greg referring to a favorite make-out spot.

"Hey, is that the same cornfield you took me to?" his wife of 25+ years asked.

Making out in cornfields. Pure Michigan.

Although I bet they have those in Iowa and Wisconsin too.

Pure Midwest.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Michigan is pretty much all I know about the US, so I take these things to be typically American in general. I always like the notice saying 'No Shirt + No Shoes = No Service' at the local grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another LOL post. Having grown up in the Midwest, I can truly appreciate your Michigan humor, which any Wisconsite or Illinoisan can relate to. Thanks for bringing back such fond memories of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. We have cornfields here, too, but they're usually planted with equipment that's three to five times wider than those in Michigan. Although, they don't have to make turns when they come to the block of pine or maple trees at the edge of Michigan fields. Our cornfields don't seem to attract the teenagers. The river banks do, though. Must be that "Grass is greener" thing, eh?
    Love,
    Your Iowa cousin

    ReplyDelete