Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'M GOING TO THE BIGGEST PARTY EVER!


Obama in the rain. Let's hope for better weather next Tuesday.
I am so excited for the election next week I can hardly breathe. I cannot even imagine how the people who were very close to the campaign must feel about all of this.

Last summer when there was a buzz that Obama would notify people by email of his Veep choice I fell for the gimmick and signed up to be a supporter. Every day since I've gotten a "personal message" from Barack, or Michelle, or Joe (not six-pack or the plumber) Biden. At the end of each email is a request for money. Twice, I hit the donate button. It's brilliant of them to make it so easy. I've never given money to a campaign before in my life but here I am doing it cheerfully.

But I have to say, the emails, which I admit have been a little irritating at times, have been a very small price to pay for the ultimate payoff because yes, it's true, I have been personally invited to attend the rally next week when he makes his victory speech downtown at Grant Park. The invites were only sent to Illinois supporters and I happen to be one of them. Yes. Envy me.

Next Tuesday night, I, my children and my darling husband will be at the epicenter of the universe when Barack Obama announces he is the next president of the United States of America.

We will stand in a ridiculously long line waiting to show our IDs and go through security. We will stand in the freezing cold (it's November in Chicago--on the lake) and wait what will seem like hours for the man to come out and give us the good news.

And I'm looking forward to this.

Let me explain the importance of this. I am not a person who likes to be uncomfortable. My family jokes that I have a four-degree comfort zone. Below 68 and I'm cold. Above 72 and I'm hot. I'm precious. My daddy even installed an extra heater at his home just for me in his chilly game room because I'm his favorite or maybe because he is sick of hearing me whine, whatever.
I do not like to wait in lines. I do not go to ANY event that requires me to stand in a line. This means my kids have actually had to miss a few plumb lessons (the much coveted golf lessons and the even more coveted swim lessons that you have to get in line for at 6:00 am ). If I can't sign up by email then forget it. And I think people who camp out overnight to get season tickets for the Cubs are certifiably insane (they even might think that after their swift elimnination from the playoffs this year, but I digress).

I do not like to wait to see anyone and this includes the Pope. After waiting an hour in the sun we gave up and went to get icecream and beer. We did see his hand waving but that was it. We didn't care. We enjoyed our treats.

So for me to be willing to put up with the inconvenience, the crush of the crowd, the freezing cold, and the no-doubt interminable wait, is more than just a little bit uncharacteristic. It's apocalyptic is what it is.


And so is next Tuesday.


It is nothing short of apocalyptic that the first Senator from Illinois since Abraham Lincoln and the first black man will be elected President of the United States of America.


And I will be there to see it.


Did I mention I'm a teeny bit excited?

God Bless America






2 comments:

  1. Judy,
    Your excitment mirrors ours as we look forward to Tuesday. First time for us to campaign/contribute also. We repeated our virginal pittances three times when a new offense from the opponent seemed too egregious. As always, your writing is top notch. will return later this week and watch for some follow-on comments.

    All the best Don Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, how's it going? I'm so envious, just as you intended. Meanwhile I'm in Coldwater, MI, a GOP stronghold, doing volunteer "legal monitoring" (i.e. I'm a challenger) but there's nothing going on. I saw a couple wearing shirts with the Obama logo on them (verboten in Michigan) and the poll worker I was with said she wouldn't have known because she didn't recognize the symbol. !!!
    (Amy in Lansing)

    ReplyDelete